First of all, We would like to praise to Allah SWT, the all Mighty for the mercy and blessing given to complete the entire of the papers that we made with the title “Techniques in Reading” . Reading is one of the most important aspects of learning English. but in reading, there are some techniques and capabilities of its own. therefore, in this paper we discuss and provide more detailed information.
Human beings as God given advantages by Subhanaha watta'alla with a common shapes in human beings that no other creature of God in his life
, that the reason he thought necessary to cultivate a pattern of education through a learning process.
, that the reason he thought necessary to cultivate a pattern of education through a learning process.
This paper certainly very far from perfection, still need many more additions, inputs as well as suggestions for improvement we expect this . so papers for readers to give criticism to a paper that we created. Thank you very much.
Tenggarong, 06 October 2012
- Method, way, system, approach, means, course, style, fashion, manner, procedure, mode, MO, (modus operandi )tests performed using a new technique
- Skill, art, performance, craft, touch, know-how (informal), facility, delivery, execution, knack, artistry, craftsmanship, proficiency, adroitness He went abroad to improve his tennis technique. technique [tɛkˈniːk] n (= method) → technique (= skill) → technique
Reading is one of the most important aspects of learning English. but in reading, there are some techniques and capabilities of its own that must knew. except that, reading also as information to facilitate learners in the practice of learning to read,we write and discuss in detail in this paper. In the reading activity, we need to know a variety of techniques to read in order to read efficiently. Reading efficiency will be better, if the required information can be determined in advance.
- There are some technique in reading include :
- Take notes
A. Reading Skimming
Skimming is read quickly to determine the general content or part of a reading (Farida Raheem, 2005). Skimming needed to determine the point of view of the author of something, find a pattern organisation paragraphs, and find common ideas quickly (Mikulecky and Jeffries in Farida Raheem, 2005).
Another sense of reading or skimming Skimming is reading quickly to get some information from that we read. Skimming made to do a quick reading in general in the literature. In skimming, the reading process is done by looking at the bounding main ideas with a major in literature to understand the theme of magnitude.
In addition to getting the main idea of a text. To determine whether an article in accordance with what we were looking for. To assess whether the article was interesting to read in further detail. Speed reading is skimming usually about 3-4 times faster than normal reading.
A. Skimming Steps
- Read the title, subtitle, and subheading know what to look for spoken text.
- Notice illustrations (drawings or photographs) that you obtain further information on the topic.
- Read the beginning of the beginning and the end of the paragraph.
- Do not read his words. Let your eyes do the outer skin skimming a text. Look for keywords
- Continue to think about the meaning of the text.
Many interpret skimming just raking leaves, whereas the true sense is a set of reading skills systematically to obtain efficient results, for various purposes, such as the following:
- To identify the topic of reading. When you go to book stores or library and would like to know what the discussion in the book you choose it, you do skimming a few minutes (or browsing). Skimming to see the material to be read, just to know the material, also conducted by the laneways choose an article in a magazine or newspaper (clipping).
- To know people's opinions (opinions). Here you already know the topics covered, all you need is the writer's opinion on the matter. For example, writing a newspaper editorial: you may simply read the first paragraph or the end that usually contains the conclusions made by the authors.
- To get the important things we need without reading all of it. You need to look at all the material that to choosing a good idea, but not read in full.
- To determine the organization of writing, the order of the main ideas and the way everything was arranged in the unity of mind and look for relationships between parts of the reading. Perhaps the chronology, comparing or other forms. Skimming is useful for selecting the material to be learned and remembered. Skimming is useful to survey the book before reading.
- To refresh ever read, for example, in preparing for the exam or before delivering a lecture.
Skimming to get an idea of a textbook page, so it can decide whether the book is useful and should be read more slowly and detailed.
Face reading or scanning is also called read scan is very fast read. When one reads the scan, he will surpass many words. According Mikulecki and Jeffries (in Farida Raheem, 2005) read the scan is important to improve reading skills. Reading technique is useful to find some information as soon as possible. Usually we read word for word of each sentence they read. By practicing reading the scan, someone can learn to understand the reading text in a more fast. But, read by scanning the original is not in use. If for the purpose of reading text books, poetry, critical letters from lawyers, and so need more detail read.
Scanning or read scan means finding specific information quickly and accurately. Scanning means flying over the pages of a book. Reading with scanning techniques means sweeping the book to find something that is needed. Scanning associated with moving the eyes rapidly to all parts of a particular page to search for specific words and phrases. Scan reading techniques (scanning) is a technique to find information quickly from reading by way of sweeping the pages evenly, and then when it came to the parts needed, eye movement stops. Eyes moving fast, jumping jacks, and do not see the word for word.
B. Scanning Steps
- Note the sequence like 'figure', 'letter', 'step', 'first', 'second' or 'next'.
- Look up the word in bold, italic know that unlike other text printed.
- Sometimes writers put keywords in a paragraph boundary.
Scanning is done by:
- Moving the eyes like arrows drove down to find information that has been set.
- Once found, the pace slowed to finding description of the information sought.
- are required to have a good understanding of the characteristics associated with a read (eg dictionary alphabetically by reversal of the terms consists of two words, and so on).
The purpose of scanning is to read:
- Looking for information on the book quickly.
- Scanning is the rapid reading techniques to find the information detail that has been determined reader.
- The reader has determined the search prior to the scanning done, readers not read the rest of the text unless the information sought.
- specific information from a text. Usually this is done when you already know exactly what you are looking for so concentrate on looking for specific answers.
Reading scanning such as reading the word in the dictionary, read the event broadcast on television, read a list of trips, find a phone number in the phone book, read the list of menu dinner at a restaurant, reading timetable, look on bulletin boards, search for topics on the list of contents of a book .
Previewing, that at first glance make some initial observations about the identity of the book and the description of the contents at a glance. Previewing the first step before you read the book carefully, to ensure that you have read the book or not, need to buy the book or not, or the information you need is or is not in the book.
Read-jump Techniques (skipping) is read by leaps read. That is, reading the parts that are considered as necessary or is understood ignore.
Techniques read-select (selecting) are reading literature or reading passages that are considered to contain the information required. In this case, the reader simply choose and read the parts required course readings
4. Take Notes
Some reasons for taking notes are:
- to maintain attentiveness as you read,
- to focus your attention,
- to provide you with a summary of the material.
A summary is a collation of your notes, recording the main points the writer makes. Making a summary from your notes has two main benefits. It allows you to test yourself on your understanding of the material you have been reading - sometimes it is only when you try to put the writer's ideas into your own words that you uncover difficulties. It provides you with a compact account of the text for further reference.
Effective reading is active reading. To turn reading from a passive into an active exercise, always ask questions.
To do this, you must be clear about the purpose of your reading. If you are reading a text which you will be critiquing in detail, your questions will be different from those you would ask if you were reading a number of texts for background information.
According to Edward B. Fry, Ph.D.
Mimic real-life reading situations to help students find information quickly
- Help students become fast, flexible readers
- Teach students to vary their reading rate according to their purpose
- Support students in finding specific information quickly
What time is that movie on TV? What was the general idea of that memo? What team is leading the division? What was the topic of that state test passage? Developed by the legendary reading expert Edward Fry, Ph.D., Skimming & Scanning helps students pick out specific information quickly, training them to tailor their reading rate depending on their purpose. These drills use real-life situations to provide the encouragement students need to become flexible, independent readers
Scanning materials are gathered in one book so you don’t have to hunt for them
- Alphabetical lists - Guide words
- Telephone directories - Indexes
- TV listings - Sports tables
- Magazine articles - Documents
- Reference materials
In each of these techniques in every way and has its own function. and of all these techniques have the same goal. make it easier for the reader or students to get detailed information and detailed of the text or discourse.
MAKALAH TECHNIQUE OF READING - MK READING 4 UNIKARTA
MAKALAH READING 4
Edukatif Blog By Published: 2012-11-10T19:20:00+07:00 FOREWORD First of all, We would like to praise to Allah SWT, the all Mighty for the mercy...